Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Re-wind!

I am resurrecting this blog to discuss things other than my training (well maybe a little training but mostly the other things involved in being a healthy 'athlete'). I have a few ideas that I want to record for other people's benefit as well as my own. Two main topics you will see here are strength training and nutrition. I will start with a little bit of nutrition for now.

'Fad' supplements. Anyone remember about 2.5 years ago when the book "Born to Run" was popular? And everyone had to eat chia seeds just like the Tarahumara Indians? Well... what do you hear about chia seeds today? Not much? Right on. Nothing wrong with Chia seeds.. but they might have been a fad.

The latest now is Maca seeds. The first I heard of them was back in November on my trip to Vancouver. The local coffee shops were integrating them into coffee drinks, and in my quick non-American accent, one of the baristas thought I said I wanted maca in my drink. So I inadvertently tried it. Did I notice anything? No, not at all. I come back to the states and I am hearing it mentioned more and more. Is this a fad too? I kind of doubt it, since doing research I hear people in South America have been using it for thousands of years. But is that just because they have easy access to it? Will it still be popular in North America in two years? Only time will tell. I say wait two years on supplements. If the science and time prove it isn't a fad, then maybe it is worth trying. If you have waited 30+ years and have never tried the supplement, what is wrong with waiting two more years to try it?

No comments: