Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Ice Age Trail 50

Last time I ran this race (in 2006) it was my first ever 50 mile run, and 2nd ultra. I went into it with not enough training and lots of ignorance. This time around I was much more prepared.

I drove the 1.5 hours to WI from Chicago land with my boyfriend and three friends: Jerry, an ultra and Badwater vet, Marie, a friend who will be doing her first Badwater this July, and Keith, a newer ultra runner, newer than even myself.

We all had the same plan, run under 9:00. In retrospect, that seems insane, how you can you set a time goal for 50 miles? Anything can happen during 50 miles. And anything did happen. I took a really harsh fall, but no broken bones, only broken concentration which lasted for about 3 miles of walking! The fall happened at mile 25, how opportune! Keith wound up racing exactly according to plan and finished in 8:48! Jerry and Marie took it a little easy, but they both finished in under 10:00. Marie and I both won our respective age groups!

I was way off my goal, and seven minutes off my 50 mile PR with a finish time of 9:28. I will take it. The age group hardware was a nice surprise!

Photos:

http://picasaweb.google.com/glenellynrunner/IceAge50MileTrailRaceMay2008

1 comment:

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

WOW Amanda, Awesome Race & love the pics...Congrats on ur time, u did Great!!!!

KM is getting close, how was that trail...that is some of the course that we will be running on at Kettle I guess...

Heard the hills are misleading and can ADD up over time, little freaked about that since I train on Flat ass land here in FL--LOL

Oh Well we will have a blast out there...SEE YA SOON!!